John M. Burke represents individuals, start-ups and businesses in a wide range of intellectual property matters, including but not limited to:
- Trademark counseling, trademark prosecution, managing trademarks, licensing trademarks, defending and enforcing domestic and international trademarks;
- Copyright registration and enforcement;
- Intellectual property counseling, including developing plans to protect trade secrets
- Negotiating and preparing a wide variety of agreements relating to intellectual property including license agreements, sponsored research, research collaboration, laboratory services, testing and evaluation, and development agreements;
- Managing IP portfolios, protecting and enforcing IP rights, including trade secrets;
- Representing clients in connection with contract disputes about intellectual property matters; and
- Intellectual property litigation in federal court and before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
John has represented clients in matters before state and federal courts in a variety of legal proceedings, including contract and business disputes, criminal defense and general civil matters. Since joining Caseiro Burke, John has used his litigation experience to better assist clients in taking a proactive approach in protecting their intellectual property. This has resulted in John being able to successfully defend against patent and trademark infringement allegations made by third parties without litigation. This likely resulted in John saving his clients a significant amount of money in legal fees that are associated with intellectual property litigation.
John's practice is not limited to a specific industry. Instead, John has worked with clients in a wide range of industries in protecting and enforcing their intellectual property rights, including but not limited to:
- Alternative Energy Industry
- Cannabis Industry
- Consumer Products Industry
- Medical Devices Industry
- Software/Mobile Application Developers
- Textile Industry
In addition to practicing intellectual property law, John has returned to Saint Joseph's College as a guest speaker and an Adjunct Professor teaching law related subject matter to upperclassmen in the Criminal Justice/Sociology department.
J.D., Western Michigan University Cooley School of Law (f/k/a Thomas. M. Cooley Law School), Concentration in Litigation, 2010
B.A., Criminal Justice, Saint Joseph's College, 2007
New England Rising Star by SuperLawyers in Intellectual Property
United States District Court, District of Maine, 2011
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2012
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Maine Bar Association