John M. Burke manages the firm's Maine Cannabis Law practice. Mr. Burke advises and represents the firm's clients throughout Maine in both the Medical and Adult Use cannabis programs in a wide range of Maine cannabis law matters, including but not limited to:
- Advising clients on all Maine statutes and rules pertinent to Maine's Medical and Adult Use cannabis programs;
- Advising clients on all local ordinances pertinent to Maine's Medical and Adult Use cannabis programs;
- Prepare and prosecute Maine cannabis licensing applications and renewals at Maine's Office of Cannabis Policy and municipalities;
- Negotiating and preparing a wide variety of agreements relating to Maine cannabis businesses including licensing agreements, manufacturing agreements, distribution agreements, operating agreements, non-disclosure agreements and development agreements; and
- Representing clients in connection with Maine cannabis business disputes.
In addition to Mr. Burke's Maine cannabis law practice, Mr. Burke advises and assists the firm's clients in a variety of industries on various intellectual property matters, including but not limited to:
- Trademark counseling, trademark prosecution, managing trademarks, licensing trademarks, defending and enforcing domestic and international trademarks;
- Copyright registration and enforcement;
- Intellectual property counseling, including developing plans to protect trade secrets
- Negotiating and preparing a wide variety of agreements relating to intellectual property including license agreements, sponsored research, research collaboration, laboratory services, testing and evaluation, and development agreements;
- Managing IP portfolios, protecting and enforcing IP rights, including trade secrets;
- Representing clients in connection with contract disputes about intellectual property matters; and
- Intellectual property litigation in federal court and before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Prior to joining Caseiro Burke, Mr. Burke represented clients in matters before state and federal courts in a variety of legal proceedings, including contract and business disputes, family law, criminal defense, and general civil matters.
J.D., Western Michigan University Cooley School of Law (f/k/a Thomas. M. Cooley Law School), Concentration in Litigation, 2010
B.A., Criminal Justice, Saint Joseph's College, 2007
New England Rising Star by SuperLawyers from 2018-2022
United States District Court, District of Maine, 2011
United States Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 2012